ECE Interim Chair Miriam Leeser, Associate Chair Waleed Meleis, and Associate Professor Purnima Ratilal-Makris met with undergraduate students in the ECE Student Advisory Board to discuss their...
You are here
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award
- Acoustical Society of America, Fellow
- Z. Gong, A.D. Jain, D. Tran, P. Ratilal, et al. "Ecosystem Scale Acoustic Sensing Reveals Humpback Whale Behavior Synchronous with Herring Spawning Processes and Re-evaluation Finds No Effect of Sonar on Humpback Song Occurrence in the Gulf of Maine in Fall 2006", PLoS ONE, 9(10), 2014, e104733
- D. Tran, W. Huang, A. Bohn, D. Wang, N. Makris, P. Ratilal, et al. "Using a Coherent Hydrophone Array for Observing Sperm Whale Range, Classification, and Shallow-water Dive Profiles",The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,135(6), 2014, 3352-3363
- Z. Gong, D. Tran, P. Ratilal "Comparing Passive Source Localization and Tracking Approaches With a Towed Horizontal Receiver Array in an Ocean Waveguide", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol 134, 3705-3720, 2013
- Z. Gong, T. Chen, P. Ratilal, N. Makris "Temporal Coherence of the Acoustic Field Forward Propagated Through a Continental Shelf with Random Internal Waves", J. Acoust Soc. Am., vol. 134, 3476-3485, 2013
- A. Jain, A. Ignisc "Feasibility of Ocean Acoustic Waveguide Remote Sensing (OAWRS) of Atlantic Cod with Seafloor Scattering Limitations", Remote Sens. vol. 6 (1), 180-208, 2013
- D. Tran, W. Huang, A. Bohn, D. Wang, Z. Gong, N. Makris, P. Ratilal "Range Localization, Classification and Shallow-Water Dive Profiling of Sperm Whales With a Low-Frequency Coherent Horizontal Receiver Array", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 135, 3352-3363, January 2014
- D. Tran, M. Andrews, P. Ratilal "Probability Distribution for Energy of Saturated Broadband Ocean Acoustic Transmission: Results from Gulf of Maine 2006 Experiment", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 132, 2012, 3659-2672
- M. Andrews, Z. Gong, P. Ratilal "Effects of Multiple Scattering, Attenuation and Dispersion in Waveguide Sensing of Fish", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 130, 2011, 1253-1271
Professor Ratilal-Makris has extensive experimental and theoretical experience in remote sensing with acoustics and ultrasonics. The applications include long range acoustic detection, localization, and inference of underwater vehicles, geology, fish, and other objects in the ocean; linear and nonlinear ultrasound imaging for biomedical and military applications; and imaging in multipath environments.
Professor Ratilal-Makris holds a PhD in acoustics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT, 2002). She was was previously a Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Ocean Engineering at MIT (2002-2004) and a Research Scientist at Singapore's DSO National Laboratories (1994-1998). She was awarded the ONR Postdoctoral Award in Ocean Acoustics in 2002, the Bruce Lindsay Award by the Acoustical Society of America in 2006, the ONR Young Investigator (YIP) Award in 2007, and the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2008.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
ECE Associate Professor Purnima Ratilal whose research was recently featured in Nature, has shown that whales tend to group into their own species when eating in large feeding areas.
ECE Associate Professors Purnima Makris and Gunar Schirner were awarded a $300K NSF grant for the "Development of an interim passive ocean acoustic waveguide remote sensing system for instantaneous continental-shelf scale marine mammal monitoring, localization and species classification".