A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between Northeastern’s College of Engineering and National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal in India.
You are here
- PhD, Stanford University, 1994
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- R. Vanam, E.A. Riskin, R.E. Ladner, S.S. Hemami, Fast Algorithms for Designing Nearly Optimal Lookup Tables for Complexity Control of the H. 264 Encoder, Signal, Image and Video Processing, 7(5), 2013, 991-1003
- H.R. Wu, A.R. Reibman, W. Lin, F. Pereira, S.S. Hemami, Perceptual Visual Signal Compression and Transmission, Proceedings of the IEEE, 101(9), 2013, 2025-2043
- L. McLaughlin, S.S. Hemami, Reduced-reference Video Quality Assessment with Scalable Overhead, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2013, 1622-1626
- A. Wang, S.S. Hemami, A. Molnar, Angle-sensitive Pixels: A New Paradigm for Low-power, Low-cost 2D and 3D Sensing, IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging, 2012, 1-13
- S.S. Hemami, F.M. Ciaramello, S.S. Chen, N.G. Drenkow, et al., Comparing User Experiences in 2D and 3D Videoconferencing, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Orlando, Florida, 2012
- F.M. Ciaramello, S.S. Hemami, A Computational Intelligibility Model for Assessment and Compression of American Sign Language Video, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2011, 3014-3027
- D.M. Rouse, S.S. Hemami, R. Pepion, P. Le Callet, Estimating the Usefulnessof Distorted Natural Images Using an Image Contour Degradation Measure, Journal of the Optical Society of America: A, 28(2), 2011, 157-188
- D.S. Swamy, K.J. Butler, D.M. Chandler, S.S. Hemami, Parametric Quality Assessment of Synthesized Textures, IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging, 7865, 2011, 1-9
Sheila S. Hemami received the B.S.E.E. degree from the University of Michigan in 1990, and the M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. degrees from Stanford University in 1992 and 1994, respectively. She was with Hewlett-Packard Laboratories in Palo Alto, California in 1994 and was with the School of Electrical Engineering at Cornell University from 1995-2013. She joined Northeastern in 2013.
Dr. Hemami's research interests broadly concern communication of visual information from the perspectives of both signal processing and psychophysics. She was elected a Fellow of the IEEE in 2009 for her contributions to robust and perceptual image and video communications.
Dr. Hemami has held various visiting positions, most recently at the University of Nantes, France and at Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland. She has received numerous university and national teaching awards, including Eta Kappa Nu's C. Holmes MacDonald Award. She was a Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Signal Processing Society in 2010-11, and has held various technical leadership positions in the IEEE.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Honors & Awards
ECE Chair Sheila Hemami was elected Vice President for Publication Products and Services for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).