Waleed M. Meleis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
409 Dana Research Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115-5000
Office: 320 Dana Research Center
Information for students
- Multiagent machine learning for distributed combinatorial optimization,
- Computational infrastructure for seamless, inter-site Grid computing,
- Applications of combinatorial optimization to switching, testing, and reconfigureable computing,
- Microprocessor-aware scheduling algorithms for modern compilers,
- Lower bounds on schedule length, and
- Parallel and scalable processing systems and programming toolsets.
- PhD, University of Michigan, 1996
- MS, University of Michigan, 1992
- BSE, Princeton, 1990
- NSF EIA, Research Instrumentation Grant, 1998-2000
- NSF EIA, Major Research Instrumentation Grant, 1999-2000
- NSF CCR, Research Grant, 1999-2001
- NSF EIA, Major Research Instrumentation Grant, 2000-2001
- NSF CCR, Research Experience for Undergraduates Supplement, 2000-2001
- NSF CenSSIS, Research Grants, 2000-2010
- Provost ENHANCE Grant, 2007
J. Tai, J. Zhang, J. Li, W. Meleis, N. Mi,
Adaptive Resource Allocation for Clouds under Burst Workloads ,
Proceedings of the IEEE International Performance Computing and
Communications Conference (IPCCC), Orlando, Florida, 2011, pp. 1-8.
- K. Chowdhury, R. Doost-Mohammady, W. Meleis, M. Di Felice, L. Bononi,
Cooperation and Communication in Cognitive Radio Networks
based on TV Spectrum Experiments, Proceedings of IEEE
International Symposium on a World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia
Networks (WoWMoM), Lucca, Italy, 2011, pp. 1-9.
J. Zhang, N. Mi, J. Tai and W. Meleis,
Scheduling of Bursty Workload On Computing Grids, Proceedings of
IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Kyoto, Japan,
M. Di Felice, K. Chowdhury, C. Wu, L. Bononi, and W. Meleis, Learning-based
Spectrum Selection in Cognitive Radio Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of
the Eight International Conference on Wired/Wireless Internet
Communications (WWIC), Invited paper, Lulea, Sweden, 2010.
C. Wu, K. Chowdhury, M. Di Felice, and W. Meleis, Spectrum
Management of Cognitive Radio Using Multi-agent Reinforcement
Learning, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on
Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS), Toronto, Canada,
J. Zhang and W. Meleis, Adaptive Grid Computing for MPI
Applications, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference
on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, Cambridge, MA,
- C. Wu and W. Meleis, Adaptive Fuzzy Function Approximation for Multi-Agent Reinforcement Learning, Proceedings of IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on
Intelligent Agent Technology(IAT), Milan, Italy, 2009.
- C. Wu and W. Meleis, Fuzzy Kanerva-based Function
Approximation for Reinforcement Learning, Proceedings of the 8th
International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems
(AAMAS), Budapest, Hungary, 2009.
- C. Wu and W. Meleis, Optimized Kanerva-based Function
Approximation for Multi-Agent Systems, Proceedings of the 7th
International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems
(AAMAS), Estoril, Portugal, 2008.
- M. Fayyazi, D. Kaeli and W. Meleis,
An adjustable linear-time
parallel algorithm for maximum weight bipartite matching,
Information Processing Letters, Vol. 97, No. 5, March 2006,
- J. Zhang, W. Meleis, D. Kaeli and T. Wu, Acceleration
of Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Tomosynthesis Mamography, The
12th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems,
pp. 291-299, Minneapolis, MN, 2006.
- F. Karimi, Z. Navabi, W. Meleis, and F. Lombardi,
Using Data Compression in Automatic Test Equipment
for System-on-Chip Testing, IEEE Transactions on
Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 53, No. 2, April 2004,
- M. Fayyazi, D. Kaeli and W. Meleis, A Polylogarithmic Time Parallel
Maximum Weight Bipartite Matching Algorithm for Scheduling in Input-Queued
Switches, Proceedings of International Parallel and Distributed
Processing Symposium (IPDPS), Santa Fe NM, 2004.
- T. Wu, R. Moore, J. Zhang, E. Rafferty, D. Kopans, W. Meleis and
D. Kaeli, Digital tomosynthesis mammography using a parallel
maximum likelihood reconstruction method, Proceedings of SPIE:
Medical Imaging, pp. 1-4, San Diego CA, 2004.
- H. Quinn, L. A. S. King, M. Leeser, and W. Meleis, Runtime Assignment of Reconfigurable Hardware Components for
Image Processing Pipelines, IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom
Computing Machines, Napa CA, 2003, p. 173.
- I. Baev, W. Meleis, S. Abraham,
Backtracking-based Instruction Scheduling To Fill Branch Delay
Journal on Parallel Programming, Vol. 30, December 2002,
- I. Baev, W. Meleis, and A. Eichenberger, Lower Bounds on
Precedence-Constrained Scheduling for Parallel Processors,
Information Processing Letters, Vol. 83, No. 1, July 2002,
- I. Baev, W. Meleis, and A. Eichenberger, An Experimental
Study of Algorithms for Total Weighted Completion Time Scheduling,
Algorithmica, Vol. 33, No. 1, May 2002, pp. 34-51.
- M. Ashouei, D. Jiang, W. Meleis, D. Kaeli, M. El-Shenawee,
E. Mizan, Y. Wang and C. Rappaport, Profile-based
Characterization and Tuning for Subsurface Sensing and Imaging
Applications, International Journal of SIMULATION: Systems,
Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1-2, June 2002, pp. 40-55.
- M. El-Shenawee, C. Rappaport, D. Jiang, and W. Meleis, Electromagnetics
Computations Using the MPI Parallel Implementation of the Steepest
Descent Fast Multipole Method (SDFMM), Applied Computational
Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 17, 2002, pp. 112-122.
- D. Jiang, W. Meleis, M. El-Shenawee, E. Mizan, M. Ashouei, and
Parallel Implementation of the Steepest Descent Fast
Multipole Method (SDFMM) On a Beowulf Cluster for Subsurface Sensing
Applications, IEEE Microwave and Wireless
Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1, January 2002, pp. 24-26.
- F. Karimi, W. Meleis, Z. Navabi, and F. Lombardi, Data Compression
for System-On-Chip Testing using ATE, 17th IEEE
Intl. Symposium on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI Systems, Vancouver,
Canada, 2002, pp. 166-174.
- W. Meleis, A. Eichenberger, and I. Baev, Scheduling
Superblocks with Bound-based Branch Tradeoffs, IEEE Trans. on
Computers, Vol. 50, No. 8, August 2001, pp. 784-797.
- W. Meleis, Dual-Issue
Scheduling for Binary Trees with Spills and Pipelined Loads,
SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 30, No. 6, 2001,
- A. Eichenberger, W. Meleis, and S. Maradani, An Integrated
Approach to Accelerate Data and Predicate Computations in Hyperblocks,
33rd Annual Intl. Conf. on Microarchitecture (IEEE/ACM), Monterey CA,
Dec. 2000, pp. 101-111.
- S. Abraham, W. Meleis, and I. Baev, Efficient backtracking
Intl. Conf. on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (IEEE/ACM), Philadelphia, PA, 2000, pp. 301-308.
- I. Baev, W. Meleis and A. Eichenberger, Lower Bounds
on Precedence-constrained Scheduling for Parallel Processors, Intl.
Conf. on Parallel Processing, Toronto, Canada, 2000, 549-553.
- J. Kalamatianos, A. Khalafi, D. Kaeli, and W. Meleis, Temporal-based
Cache Interaction for Improved Program Layout, IEEE Trans. on
Computers, Special Issue on Cache Memory, 1999, pp. 168-175.
- J. Kalamatianos, A. Khalafi, D. Kaeli, B. Calder, and W. Meleis,
Program Reordering Using Estimated Call Graphs, DEC Technical
Journal, Special Issue on Programming Languages and Tools,
- A. Eichenberger and W. Meleis, Balance Scheduling: Weighing
Branch Tradeoffs in Superblocks, 32nd Annual Intl. Conf. on
Microarchitecture (IEEE/ACM), 1999, pp. 272.
- I. Baev, W. Meleis, and A. Eichenberger, Algorithms
for Total Weighted Completion Time Scheduling, ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete
Algorithms, January 1999.
- W. Meleis and E. Davidson, Optimal Dual-Issue Instruction
Scheduling With Spills for Binary Expression Trees, ACM-SIAM Symp.
on Discrete Algorithms, January 1999.
- M. Leeser, W. Meleis, M. Vai, S. Chiricescu, W. Xu, and
P. Zavracky, Rothko: A
Three Dimensional FPGA, IEEE Design and Test Magazine,
Spring 1998, pp. 16-23.
- J. Casmira, J. Fraser, D. Kaeli, and W. Meleis, Operating
System Impact on Trace-Driven Simulation, 31st Annual Simulation Symp.,
- M. Leeser, W. Meleis, M. Vai, and P. Zavracky, Rothko:
a Three Dimensional FPGA Architecture, its Fabrication, and Design Tools,
IEEE Conf. on Advanced Research in VLSI (ARVLSI), 1997.
- W. Meleis and E. Davidson, Optimal Local Register Allocation
for a Multiple-Issue Machine, ACM Intl. Conf. on Supercomputing,
pp 107-116, July 1994.
Other papers and presentations
- M. Di Felice, K. Chowdhury, W. Meleis, and L. Bononi,
To Sense or To Transmit: A Learning-based Spectrum Management
Scheme for Cognitive RadioMesh Networks, Fifth IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh
Networks (WiMesh), held in conjunction with IEEE SECON, Boston, Massachusetts, 2010
- C. Wu and W. Meleis, Function Approximation Using Tile and
Kanerva Coding For Multi-Agent Systems, Workshop on Adaptive
Learning Agents (ALA), held in conjunction with the 8th
International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent
Systems (AAMAS), Budapest, Hungary, 2009.
- I. Baev and W. Meleis, Total Weighted Completion Time
Scheduling for Superblocks, SIAM Conference on Discrete Mathematics,
- J. Kalamatanos, A. Khalafi, D. Kaeli, and W. Meleis, Memory
Performance Tuning Using Graph-based Analysis, Workshop on Pre-Hardware
Performance Analysis Techniques, June 1998.
- K. Bowers, D. Kaeli, and W. Meleis, Performance Optimization
of the Forth Interpreter, Northeastern University Technical Report
- S. Sair, D. Kaeli, and W. Meleis, A Study of Loop Unrolling for VLIW-Based DSP Processors,
IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing
Systems, 1998, pp. 519 -527.
- W. Meleis, M. Leeser, P. Zavracky, and M. Vai, Architectural
Design of a Three-Dimensional FPGA, Workshop on Field-Programmable
Logic and Applications (FPL), 1997.
- Yuqian Li (M.S. student)
- Curtis Watson (Ph.D. student)
- Cheng Wu (Ph.D 2010)
- Juemin Zhang (Ph.D. 2010)
- Andrew Li (B.S.)
- Scott Frasso (B.S.)
- James Kirk (B.S.)
- Maryam Ashouei (M.S. 2002)
- Elias Mizan (M.S. 2002)
- Ivan Baev (Ph.D. 2001)
- Desheng Jiang (M.S. 2001)
- Jason Goldstein (M.S. 2001)
- Adaeze Ibeneche (B.S. 2003)
- Geoff Krapf (B.S. 2003)
- Eric Anderson (B.S. 2003)
- Ebubechukwu Okafor (B.S. 2003)
- Ahmed Kanan (B.S. 2002)
- ECE U326: Optimization Methods
- ECE 1381: Introduction to Computer Organization
- ECE 1382: Digital Logic Design
- ECE 1503: Capstone Design Proposal
- ECE 1504: Capstone Design Project
- Combinatorial Optimization
- ECE 3652: Fundamentals of Computer Engineering
- HNR U302: Honors Seminar on
Limits of Scientific Knowledge: Chaos, Computational Complexity and Computability
Awards and Honors
- Favorite Professor selection (Senior Yearbook, 2013)
- Invited to represent Northeastern at the National Academy of Engineering's Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium (2012)
- Favorite Professor selection (Senior Yearbook, 2012)
- Outstanding Teachers of the College of Engineering (COE students, 2011)
- Eta Kappa Nu Professor of the Year Award (EKN, 2010)
- Martin W. Essigmann Outstanding Teaching Award (COE, 2008)
- Center for Innovative Course Design Teaching Award (EdTech, 2004)
- Martin W. Essigmann Outstanding Teaching Award (COE, 2003)