235 Forsyth Building
Fax: (617) 373-8970
Stephen McKnight received a B.S. in Physics from Oberlin College in 1969 and a Ph.D. in
Experimental Solid State Physics from the University of Maryland at College Park in 1976. His
thesis work was on "Far-Infrared Cyclotron Resonance in Semiconducting PbTe". From 1976 to 1978 he
was a Research Associate at Emory University in Atlanta and in 1978 he was awarded a National
Research Council Post-doctoral Fellowship at the Naval Research laboratory. From 1980 to 1985 he
held an Assistant Professor position in the Dept. of Physics at Northeastern University and was a
Principal Investigator of research projects on "Far-Infrared High-Pressure Studies of Narrow-gap
Semiconductors" (funded by ONR) and "Optical Properties of Metallic Glasses" (funded by the
In 1985 he became a Senior Scientist in the Center for Electromagnetics Research and Adjunct
Professor of Electrical Engineering at Northeastern University and in 1988 was appointed Associate
Professor of Electrical Engineering. His research in this period has included projects on
submillimeter exchange resonance (funded by ONR) and ferromagnetic resonance of exchange-coupled
magnetic multilayers. He has published over 28 articles in refereed journals, over 30 abstracts
and contributed papers, and has delivered 11 invited papers and seminars. He is a member of the
American Physical Society and the IEEE (Society on Magnetics).
- S.W. McKnight, A.K. Ibrahim, A. Bansil and S.N. Khanna, The Hall Effect in Armorphous
Ni-P Alloys, J. Phys. F; Metals Physics 17, 1167 (1987).
- S.W. McKnight and C. Vittoria, Ferromagnetic Resonance in Magnetic Multi-layer Structures,
Phys. Rev. B 36 (1987).
- R. Zayek, S.W. McKnight, C. Vittoria, V. Folen, and W. Maisch, Effects of Magnetic
Relaxation Times on the Shielding of a Polarized Electromagnetic Pulse, J. of Applied Physics
65, 2803 (1989).
- S.W. McKnight and M.K. El-Rayess, Wavelength Dependence of Persistent Photoconductivity in
Indium-doped PbSnTe, Semicond. Sci. Technol. 5, S155 (1990).
- E. Ekholm and S.W. McKnight, Attenuation and Dispersion for High-Tc Superconducting
Microstripline, IEEE Trans. MTT 38, 387 (1990).
- N. McGruer, A. Johnson, S.W. McKnight, W. Schwab, C. Chan, and S. Tong, Prospects for a
1 THz vacuum microelectronic microstrip amplifier, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 38, 666
- W. Weedon, S.W. McKnight, and A. Devaney, Selection of optimal angles for inversion of
multiple-angle ellipsometry and reflectometry equations, J. Optical Society of America A 8,