Information for Network students
Hello, thanks for enrolling in ECE 3484, Combinatorial Optimization.
I'm glad to see that there continues to be interest in the course from
NTU students. However taking or teaching a network class can be a
challenge. The following instructions and guidelines will help you
get the most out of the class, and me teach most effectively.
- Please send me an email message: email@example.com. In this
message, give me a contact email address, phone number, and fax
number. I will use this information to set up a class mailing list,
to send material to you, and to contact you if necessary.
- Most readings in the course are taken from the required text, however
some readings are included in a course pack. NTU will contact you about
sending it to you. The coursepack is also
available from the Northeastern Univ. bookstore. If you are nearby
you can buy it there, but don't ask them to mail it to you.
- All homework and project writeups must be received by me within
two weeks of the regular announced deadline. You should allow enough
time for material to be mailed.
- The way to send any material to me is to mail (or have mailed by
NTU) an original, stapled, hardcopy directly to my regular address:
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
440 Dana Research Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115-5000
Project writeups should be typeset. However your homework can be
You can send material to me directly, or send it through NTU/Network
Northeastern. Do not send me any faxed or electronic material. This
policy is used because faxes are difficult to read, and electronic
material comes in a wide range of formats.
- You should keep a copy of any material you submit.
- You will need to use optimization software that is installed at
Northeastern Univ. We will create an account for you, and you will be
able to use the software remotely.
- Network students have told me that they can follow the class best
if I use dark markers to write on the board, write large, give them
enough time to take notes when I finish writing on each board before
going to the next board, and repeat questions that students in the
classroom ask. Please remind me if I forget to do these things, or if
I can do anything else.
- Deadlines for network students are extended two weeks to account
for delays in your seeing the lectures, and to account for mailing
time. However I expect you keep up with the class. The class project
is time consuming so I suggest that you make sure that you don't leave
too much of the work for the last few weeks.
- To read postscript (.ps) files, download and install the ghostview
application. It can be found online for free.